About Us – What We Do
Pursuant to executive powers conferred by H.E the President, Julius Maada Bio, the Director General of the Petroleum Directorate administers the Petroleum Exploration and Production Act (PEPA), 2011 and reports directly to H.E the President.
The Petroleum Directorate under PEPA 2001 has a statutory responsibility for regulating the upstream oil and gas sector, and ensuring that all Operators conducting petroleum operations comply with the applicable Petroleum Legislation and any other regulation(s) or guideline(s) governing upstream oil and gas operations in Sierra Leone.
Amongst other functions, the Petroleum Directorate is responsible for:
- Monitoring and Supervising all Petroleum Industry operations under license to ensure compliance and congruence with international best practices
- Marketing and promoting the petroleum potential of the Country to the international investment community
- Assessing prospective holders of Petroleum Licenses for the purposes of prequalification for participation in licensing rounds
- Processing all applications for licensing of blocks and overseeing the participation of commercial entities in the sector
- Reviewing all proposed reconnaissance, exploration and appraisal work plans, plans for development and operation; and complimentary budgets
- Promoting and ensuring well planned and executed cost efficient operations
- Encouraging and enforcing the standards of operation and code of practice for petroleum operations
- Ensuring efficient and safe petroleum operations in line with international best practices
- Acting as Technical Adviser to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) on all matters that may impact on the management of upstream petroleum activities in the country
- Maintaining and managing records on petroleum industry operations, including all types of petroleum data